DIY Documentary Posts
- iPhone Documentary Filmmaking
- Shot with an iPhone, Indie Film Shows Life of Brothers – Movie Review
- Documentary Filmmaking Course for High School Students
- DIY – Low Cost Equipment Suggestions
- My new iPhone documentary – “BROTHERS” 2017
- Sign up today! – DIY documentary workshop.
- DIY Lighting
- Indie Street Film Festival 2017
- Take your Documentary on a Film Tour!
- Woodstock Film Festival
- Surround Sound for your Documentary
- Is Cinema Verite a Lost Art?
- The DVD is Still Alive
- Two-Camera Shoots
- Getting Your Documentary Noticed…
- Editing – Connecting Scenes
- Music Licensing for your Documentary
- The Story Arc is all that Matters.
- Bill Jersey Remembers Albert Maysles
- Albert Maysles 1926 – 2015
- This is DIY Filmmaking…
- Start Small – Make a Three Minute “A Day in the Life” Film
- What is DIY Documentary?
Author Archives: Jack Ballo
I wrote an article about making an iPhone documentary for the new issue of Digital Filmmaking magazine. I shared some of my thoughts and procedures on how and why I used the iPhone. The publisher added images of interesting apps … Continue reading
Film critic Joan Ellis of the Two River Times wrote this review about my new iPhone film. She picked up on and wrote about the advantage of documentary filmmaking with an iPhone. “With Brothers, Jack Ballo has filmed their story with … Continue reading
The summer DIY Documentary Filmmaking class I taught at the Count Basie Theatre was a great success! The sold out course for teens ended with a class film screening where all the students invited friends and family for an evening … Continue reading
DIY documentary is about simple inexpensive filmmaking. Believe me, creating great stories and interesting films have little to do with the equipment. If your phone or video camera records HD video you are on your way to your first documentary. … Continue reading
My new documentary “Brothers” wasn’t a planned film. It all happened when I agreed to teach a DIY documentary workshop at Red Bank’s Count Basie Theatre this summer and wanted to experiment with iPhone filmmaking. I started filming two childhood … Continue reading
I am teaching a DIY documentary filmmaking workshop at the Count Basie Theater’s educational program this summer. The workshop will get aspiring filmmakers on their way to their first documentary. It’s for anybody who has a story to tell and an iPhone … Continue reading
I’m working on a music video by a great song writer and talented musician named Danny Petronie. This isn’t a documentary and of course I don’t believe in artificial lighting of documentaries anyway. But when I saw this picture below … Continue reading
INDIE STREET FILM FESTIVAL – RED BANK, NJ PAVING THE WAY FOR STORYTELLERS OF THE FUTURE This is a perfect film festival for DIY filmmakers. Their submission fee is low as they look for great independent story telling. They don’t judge … Continue reading
It has been said that making the documentary is the easy part and that distribution, promotion and outreach is where all the hard work is. That may be true…so if you are serious about your film and you are willing … Continue reading